I had my gall bladder surgery around 1.5 years back, though it was a laparoscopic surgery for very long time I used to feel “Maybe now my body will never be like before…maybe surgery has left some never ending problems in my body”. Then one day I thought of starting some exercise in form of walks, but after walking for only 5-10 minutes I felt I couldn’t do it more, I returned home. Did it for couple of days like this until one morning Abhishek noticed it and that was the point I broke up and told him “now I am not like before I don’t think I will be ever fit in my life again”. He listened patiently to me and said nothing, it felt a little awkward but then I said nothing.
Next morning he woke me up and asked me to come for a walk with him, I was reluctant but then came along. He started talking about something as we walked and then we talked and walked and I didn’t realise the time. After around 20-30 minutes some reminder poped up on my phone and I realised the time. 20 minutes I have been walking, it felt impossible and happy at the sametime. And at that time Abhishek smiled and said “Betu it’s just in your mind, you are still the same…you just need to do it”. That was the day and till today I have stuck to his words. I started my walks and gradually increased them along with other exercises and have never felt better…
Even now when I got pregnant with my second kid when I went to meet my gynaecologist I asked her what are best pregnancy exercises. She said “Walking is the best exercise during pregnancy and you can also do any other exercise you do normally…just listen to your body and stop when you feel exhausted”. So I am continuing my brisk walks all through this pregnancy except the days I feel exhausted. Even during my first trimester when I had severe nausea and vomiting and bit very restless I would just go down my apartment complex and walk for sometime. It helped me relax as it is believed that walking/exercise release chemical called endorphins which help reduce perception of pain. Apart from these other benefits of exercising during pregnancy like Reduce backaches, constipation, bloating and swelling, Prevent excess weight gain, Promote muscle tone and more
Here are some things which helped me to be regular with my walks during pregnancy ups and downs:
1. Ideally I want to fix a particular time for my walk but with a toddler at home and other works it did not work mostly. So instead of fixing a particular time for walking, I did it whenever I found any little time.
2. Got a fitness tracker with which I could measure the Number of Steps I walked in a day. It was really helpful for days when I had lot of work in mind and I forgot to walk. One look at this tracker and it showed very less Steps walked for the day and I knew I had to take out time to walk anyhow.
3. Carried a small water bottle to prevent de-hydration
4. Eat something light before walking so maintain the energy level
5. Try to get company of a friend or listen to music while walking, so prevent withdrawal symptoms and continue.
What all exercises you did during your pregnancy and did they help you sail smoothly through…