Looking into the mirror yesterday I suddenly see lots of grey hair peeping among the black/brown one’s and now they have increased in number drastically since the last time I noticed them. Without wasting any further time I set out to make my new batch of savior oil which I had been postponing since few months due to my gall bladder stone treatment followed by the recovery period.
As you might be aware grey hair are caused by multiple reasons, internal issues like vitamin deficiency, stress, inadequate sleep, hereditary factors, lifestyle etc. Also many external factors might lead to grey hair like chemical laden hair products, hair coloring, no hair oiling etc. Besides setting right the internal factors by consulting a doctor, regular oiling of the hair with herb infused oils also help prevent greys. Being an Indian I am quite used to hair oiling and I believe firmly in it’s benefits as I have seen some nice results.
Coming back to the savior oil, I got to know about it from a group of ladies few months back and then I made my own version to try on my grey hair. Last time it worked very well to prevent new grey hair from coming, obviously the old whites didn’t disappear. But then due to health issues I forgot to oil my hair for couple of last months and I can see lot of white hair again coming.
I make this herb infused oil in quantity to last for atleast 1-2 months as I am bit lazy to make it every now and then.
Ingredients needed to make this curry leaves and amla oil are(alter the quantity as needed):
- 1 small bowl of coconut oil
- 1 small bowl of olive oil
- 1 small bowl of castor oil
- 1 small bowl of almond oil
- 1 small bowl of fresh curry leaves
- 2-3 medium sized amla/gooseberry
Steps to make curry leaves and amla oil for grey hair:
- Wash curry leaves and pat dry.
- Cut amla into pieces and then grind to coarse paste.
- Put coconut oil in a pan or kadai(heavy bottomed) and when it is little hot put amla paste and simmer the stove.
- Keep stirring regularly. You will see lot of bubbles coming out, this is the water content and it should be evaporated to increase shelf life of the oil
- After 5 minutes add the curry leaves to the pan and keep stirring. Eventually you will see all the water has evaporated as the bubbles will starting disappearing. When the solid part starts getting brownish add olive oil, castor oil and almond oil also to the pan and stir for some more time and switch off the gas stove. From the time we add curry leaves it takes around 15-20 minutes for it to cook though time might vary slightly depending on quantity and flame’s intensity.
- Let this mixture sit for 4-5 hours and then strain it and store in a glass bottle.
This coconut, castor, almond and olive oil hair treatment will nourish your hair and prevent/reduce the occurrence of grey hair. I would recommend to use this herbal oil minimum 2 times a week and keep it for minimum 4-5 hours before washing hair. You can use it more often also if you wish. So go ahead and make this oil and let me know how it worked for you.